Keeping those Veggies Crisp

Guess I will be the first to share some information that I found on the internet while looking for information. You may already know this, but if so add to it.......

Apples: Can be stored in the fridge wrapped in a damp paper-towel. The saying “one bad apple, ruins the lot” is very true. Apples give off a lot of ethylene, a natural gas that causes produce to ripen, so if one apple is past its peak and in close proximity to others, it will cause the others to ripen faster. However, this process can also be used in a brown bag to quickly ripen foods that you’d like to eat sooner.

Asparagus: Similar to flowers, the stems should be freshly cut and placed into 1-2 inches of water in the fridge with a plastic bag loosely over the top. Best if used within a week of being placed into the fridge.

Berries: These need a little more TLC than most produce but it’s worth it for how tasty they are. A vinegar bath, 1 cup vinegar + 3 cups water, will clean and kill all of the mold spores on the berries extending their life by multiple days. Dry completely, a salad spinner would be useful for this, and store in a slightly-open container in the fridge with paper towels.

Carrots: Since carrots can become spongy after a while in the fridge, an ice bath will keep that fresh-crunch that you desire.

Corn: Ideal if consumed as soon as possible as it will lose its sweetness and become overly starchy if left for too long. Best way to keep corn is in its husk in the fridge.

Eggplant: Best at room temperature in a cool-dry place. Should not be placed near bananas, tomatoes, melons or in plastic bags because it will cause the eggplant to ripen too fast.

Fresh Herbs: Much like flowers, their stems should be freshly cut and placed into a glass of water, able to keep in the fridge or the counter top.

Leafy Greens: Submerged in an ice bath for about an hour then placed into a strongly-sealed, large plastic bag with a wet paper towel or a few ice cubes.

Onions: A cool-dry area away from root vegetables. For example, in a kitchen drawer or infrequently used cabinet.

Root Vegetables/Potatoes: Ideal in an environment that mimics underground, i.e.: a cool, dry place but avoid storing with onions.

Tomatoes: Best on the counter top and most flavorful when served at room temperature.